About This Recipe
½ ciabatta loaf
½ cup olive oil
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1 romaine lettuce
Salt and fresh-ground pepper
A squeeze of lemon juice
½ tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
4-6 canned anchovy fillets, rinsed and drained
Parmesan cheese (optional), shaved into curls with a vegetable peeler
The component parts of this meal can be prepared in advance and then assembled when you are ready to eat.
- To prepare the chicken breasts, pat them dry with kitchen towel and season well. Cook on a hot griddle at a medium high heat until cooked through (approximately 4-5 minutes on each side). Test by pushing a skewer into the thickest part of the fillet. If the juices run clear, the chicken is done.
- Once cooked, set the chicken aside to rest until everything else is ready.
- While the chicken is cooking, put the eggs into a small pan of water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 4-5 minutes, then plunge into cold water.
- Meanwhile, mix the olive oil and crushed garlic in a bowl. Tear the bread into bite-sized hunks and dip them in the bowl, before tossing them in a hot, un-oiled, frying pan. Flip the pan occasionally to prevent the croutons from burning, and remove from the heat when they are crisp, crunchy and brown.
- Separate the lettuce leaves. Break them in half if they are large, then rinse and drain under a cold tap. Shake off excess water or pat dry with a tea towel.
- When you are ready to eat, tear the chicken into bite-sized morsels and peel and quarter the eggs. Put the lettuce in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper, then sprinkle over the lemon juice and extra-virgin olive oil. Toss the leaves to cover with the dressing and then add the remaining ingredients.
- Divide between two bowls and eat immediately.