About This Recipe
4 or 5 new potatoes
4 cloves of crushed garlic
1 red onion, chopped
4 rashers of streaky bacon, cut into strips
½ cup white wine
1 tin chopped tomatoes
Pinch of sugar
1 packet of fish pie mix (or chunks of raw smoked haddock, salmon and cod)
Flat leaf parsley
Crusty bread to serve
- Bring a pan of salted water to the boil and cook the new potatoes (for 15-20 minutes) while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Gently fry the onion, garlic and bacon for a few minutes until the onion starts to soften. Be careful not to have the heat too high as the garlic will taste bitter if it is allowed to burn.
- Add the wine and raise the heat to a simmer for 2-3 minutes, then add the tin of tomatoes and a large pinch of sugar, and cook until the sauce thickens.
- When the potatoes are done, cut them in half and add them to the sauce, along with the chunks of raw fish. Adjust the heat so the stew bubbles gently and simmer for 5 minutes or so, until the fish is cooked, but still retains its shape.
- Season to taste and spoon the stew into bowls, then use kitchen scissors to snip the parsley over the top. Serve with a hunk of crusty bread on the side (unless you’re avoiding gluten, of course!).