About This Recipe
¼ cup Shaoxing wine or dry sherry
¼ cup soy sauce
¼ cup water
1 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 inch section of root ginger, peeled and cut into thin slices
6 chicken thigh fillets, trimmed and cut into bite-sized chunks
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 packet of Chinese greens (choi sum or pak choi, for example), chopped into bite-sized pieces
Steamed rice to serve
- Combine the Shaoxing wine, soy sauce, water, spice, umami paste, brown sugar and ginger in a medium-sized frying pan. Bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer, while you trim and cut up the chicken thighs.
- To steam the rice, put one cup of rice in a pan with two cups of water and set the heat high until the water starts to boil. When most of the water has evaporated, turn the heat low and cover.
- Meanwhile, add the chicken to the simmering sauce and poach, turning every minute or so until cooked through.
- When the rice is done, heat a large wok or frying pan and quickly stir fry the garlic in a little wok oil until it starts to go brown. Add the white stems from the greens and stir continuously for 1 minute. Add the rest of the leaves, along with a good pinch of salt, and stir for a further minute.
- Divide everything between your serving bowls, along with the chicken and a spoonful or two of the sauce.