About This Recipe
2 Chicken legs, separated into drumsticks and thighs
2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp salt
⅓ cup of plain flour
1 onion, chopped
½ packet of smoked streaky bacon, roughly chopped
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1 can of chopped tomatoes
1 pinch of saffron
250g paella rice (calasparra)
¾ litre of chicken stock*
Handful of green beans, halved
½ cup of frozen peas
240g of raw king prawns
- Mix the paprika, flour and salt in a shallow bowl. Pat the chicken dry with kitchen towel and toss in the seasoning mix, then shake of the excess flour.
- Heat some olive oil in a large, deep, frying pan and fry the chicken for 10-12 minutes over a medium heat until well-browned. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the onions and bacon to the pan and fry for 2 minutes until the onions start to soften. Add the left-over flour and paprika and stir to remove any lumps. Add the garlic, tomatoes and saffron and cook for about 5 minutes until the sauce starts to thicken. Pour in the rice and most of the hot stock. Stir well, then add the chicken, pushing it down into the rice mixture.
- Cook over a high heat until the mixture starts to bubble fiercely, then reduce to a gentle simmer and cook, uncovered, for about 15 minutes, stirring only if necessary.
- Add the green beans, prawns, and remaining stock (if the mixture is looking dry already). Stir, then leave simmering gently for another 10 minutes. Finally, add the frozen peas and cook for 3-4 minutes.
*Check that your stock is gluten-free if you are using this as a gluten-free recipe.