About This Recipe
1 fennel head, quartered
250g dried spaghetti
1 onion, diced
4 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 tbsp sultanas
1 tbsp pine nuts
6 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
¼ cup of fresh parsley leaves, chopped
½ cup dry white wine
6-8 fresh sardines, scaled, gutted and gills removed
- Cook the fennel in boiling, salted water for 3-4 minutes until almost tender. Drain (reserving the cooking liquid) and leave to cool, then chop coarsely.
- Bring the fennel water back to the boil and cook the spaghetti, according to the packet instructions, until al dente.
- Warm some olive oil in a large frying pan. Gently fry the onion until it turns translucent, then add the garlic, fennel, sultanas, pine nuts and anchovies. Fry for a couple of minutes until the pine nuts are starting to brown, then add the wine and cook over a moderate heat until all of the moisture has been absorbed.
- Preheat the grill or a griddle pan. Place the sardines on a rack over the grill pan and add a little water to the pan below (this will stop the juices burning on the grill pan and making lots of smoke). Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, according to size. Allow to cool, then remove the flesh and set aside.
- When the pasta is ready, drain and toss in the pan with the fennel mixture. Add the sardines and the parsley, stir, and serve immediately.