About This Recipe
4 (or more) birds eye chillies
5 cloves of garlic
3 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp raw honey
2 tbsp fish sauce
2 tbsp almond oil (or extra-virgin olive oil)
400g chicken thigh fillets
For the salad
2 handfuls of mixed Asian salad leaves (mizuna, arugula, baby pak choi, peashoots…)
1 carrot, finely sliced
½ cucumber, sliced
½ cup coriander leaves
½ cup mint leaves
½ cup unsalted cashew nuts
- Combine all the sauce ingredients in a blender and whizz until smooth, then heat in a small wok or frying pan over a medium heat.
- Trim the chicken fillets of fat and cut in half, then poach in the sauce, turning regularly, for 8-10 minutes while you prepare the salad.
- Rinse and dry the salad leaves and arrange in two bowls along with the rest of the ingredients. Cut the cheeks from the limes and squeeze the juice from the centre part into a small bowl and add 2 tbsp of almond (or other oil). Beat with a fork and then sprinkle over the salad and toss gently to distribute.
- When the chicken is tender and cooked through, turn up the heat so that the sauce starts to caramelise and the chicken browns.
- Season to taste and serve hot or cold.